9.11.2008

hybrids are very quiet when they creep up on you

There are a lot of strong feelings in the running community about iPods. Many certified courses don't allow runners to wear headphones, saying "runners should be alert and aware of their surroundings at all times."

Personally, I can run without music. But I really prefer to run with music. I even play a little game with myself and use my iPod as a reward for getting through the most difficult first couple miles of a run. I huff and pant and grimace, all the while reminding myself that when I get to two miles, or three, I can have my precious iPod.

I'm like a junkie waiting for her fix.

But music does make the second half of my run so much more enjoyable. Or maybe just getting through that tough first part --- where my body is fighting me for all its worth to stop, turn around and walk straight home, shut the door to my house and never come out again until I promise to cease such foolish abuse --- is reward enough.

By comparison, the rest is a piece of cake.

At any rate, I really do get giddy when the time comes to unfurl my green headphones from around my equally green nano, squint at the ever so tiny R or L to figure out which bud goes in which ear (does it really matter, anyway?) and get that click wheel moving.

Ahhhh. It's like a cool drink of water.

And that's what this blog is for me. A refreshing look at running, a recounting of the pains and the joys of every step. There's always something new. Hopefully, my words will be as reviving for you as they are for me. Join in. Tell me what you love (and hate) about running.

Writing with your feet is optional.

No comments: