11.05.2008

the sun of change


Wow. The world feels like a different place this morning. Already I have received phone calls and emails from excited friends who sound like they are in the dawn of a new day. They have very high hopes for a long and especially prosperous day under our new president-elect, Barack Obama. Or maybe they are just happy to have avoided “more of the same” for the next four years.

And what an awesome responsibility we have heaped at the feet of Mr. Obama. If ever we needed an “out of the box” perspective, it is today – well, actually it was yesterday…and last week…and last year.

I have to admit that I tricked my kids. Both of my sons have taken a varying interest in the election since they have talked about in our home and in their schools.

But I wanted to seal the deal. I wanted them to be able to say “I remember where I was when Barack Obama became president.”

A few days ago, I told them each I was sure that John McCain would be the victor on Tuesday. “Naw, Mom!” Kit said. “Obama will win! He won at our mock election at school.” (This from the little boy who “voted” for George Bush four years ago. “He seems like a nice guy,” was his conclusion. Not too far off from half the country’s reasoning at the time.)

“Nope. I don’t think so,” I answered in my most self-assured voice.

So I challenged each son to a bet. One dollar said Senator McCain would be our next president.

“You are SO going to owe us a dollar,” said Cameron. “How do you think you’ll spend your dollar, Cam?” asked Kit.

Bingo. They were hooked. My 15-year old didn’t need this shenanigan, but my 10-year old lapped it up like a kitten. I couldn’t peel them away from the television and laptop last night.

Cameron took the helm at the remote, switching between NBC and BBC America, whose coverage was hilarious, I might add. (It was a crack-up to see the American-born experts struggle to understand the various accents – and rather bizarre questioning -- of the presenters.)

The night before the election, we found a “Electoral College Quiz” online and took it together, missing all questions but one. I have to say we are all much smarter about the Constitutional process now.

I fell asleep before 9, not knowing who held which state’s votes. And then I dreamed that John McCain did indeed win the seat, and I offered my shoulder for tender-hearted teenagers to cry upon.

When I woke up and made my way downstairs this morning, my husband told me I was two dollars poorer today and my boys whooped and hollered and wanted their cash. I told them I’d have to make good later in the day. “I don’t usually carry that much cash on me,” I said.

And sadly enough, with the economy such as it is, that’s the truth.

Good morning all! Welcome to our NEW DAY. May the sun of change smile upon us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What lucky young men -- to have a mom who wants them to learn the importance of participating in our country's politics! And isn't it wonderful to see Americans dancing in the streets for a change -- after so many years of deception, bad news, and crisis?